For my July BurdaStyle pattern I picked this top. I had big plans for this baby: I was gonna REALLY step out of my sewing comfort zone with some bust shaping and fancy closures and an all in one facing (which I had previously done EXACTLY ONCE in school). I was gonna make it in my fav IKEA canvas so I could get a rad faux-jumpsuit kinda thing with my Lander Pants, but also it would be a more interesting summer top with jeans or a skirt and it was gonna look SO GOOD with my black cutoffs when I saw The Matches in Texas last weekend.
So, you know that thing about not always getting what you want?
I wasn't very far into this top before I was seriously questioning my fabric choice. The pattern calls for pique which is um... not even close to the same thing as canvas. But! The structure! The cool lines! The... facing. Goodness gracious an all in one facing in canvas on canvas was... not easy. But I got through it!
Then there was the closure. The pattern calls for hook and eye tape. Which I probably should have checked if anywhere local carried but I just assumed there would be some at Joann's. Well. You know what they say about when you assume? You end up with tell tape and loose hooks and eyes trying to DIY your own. Which actually worked a little better than I was expecting, since I was able to deviate a bit from the pattern and give both sides an overlap, making the top more symmetrical because things like that bother me. But, still not really a sturdy enough closure for a punk show, so that was sad.
THEN there was the fit. To be completely honest, I've had really good luck up to this point having sewing patterns fit pretty well as drafted. To the point where I almost never make muslins. So... I didn't make a muslin. I... really should have made a muslin for this one. I have no Idea where I got the idea that I could get away with not making a muslin/any adjustments on a very bust-shaping oriented garment for my not-even-an-a-cup boobs. The first time I tried it on I hated it so much I almost cried because at that point it was finished and there was nothing I could do to fix it without taking the whole thing apart. Except for taking in the front seams about 1/4 inch at each bust point and adjusting the curve there. This is where working with a BurdaStyle pattern came in SUPER handy because holy moly these patterns are ACCURATE and adjusting things is easy peasy. I'm still not 100% on if the neckline is all that flattering on me, but at least I was able to take care of the fit.
So... it's true that you can't always get what you want. But then theres that other part of that song too.
And I DID need to break out of my very-simple-shapes comfort zone and make something with some actual structure. I did need to check myself and not get so cocky with my fabric choices. I did need to practice an all in one facing and learn to be more creative with notions beyond just picking cute buttons. I did need to accept that not every pattern is going to fit me as drafted and I NEED TO TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE MUSLINS. And mostly I needed a big fat slice of humble pie to admit that not EVERY sewing project can be the OMGBESTSEWINGPROJECTEVER every single time.
But I'm not complaining about these two-piece outfit vibes. Def gonna try this again with a less ridiculous fabric choice.